Friday 28 January 2011

New reality

Last weekend I got a bit carried away with myself. I forgot the rule of spoons. The taxi journeys to and from work have revolutionised my life. I have so much more focus and energy. 

So... on Friday my Mum came to visit and we went out to lunch and went shopping and I introduced her to the kittens. That was quite a lot of spoons used up.

On Saturday I made my annual pilgrimage to the Valley. Mistake 1) as I was sitting in regular seats I only took one crutch as I was worried about room and also about standing around drinking beer before the game with no hands. I realised halfway down to the ground that this was going to be tough. That was going downhill. It was confirmed at the ground that my legs were pretty much giving up. I sat through the whole game only standing to applaud the new manager and the goals. Going home was horrendous. I realised about 10 feet from the ground I really couldn't make it. Rich pretty much had to drag me home. It took forever and a day - certainly a lot longer than it takes him on his own!

I spoke to my Nurse in the week and agreed that even though I'd vetoed the idea at our appointment the previous week maybe a course of steroids would be a good idea after all. So, here's me and another course of Medrone (thank goodness peach juice, the only cure for the vile taste of the vile tablets came in the shopping today). During the same conversation my Nurse suggested that a wheelchair might be in order... she started the sentence with "I know you won't like the idea..." - but after my experiences of the weekend I took no convincing. So wheels have been put in motion as it were (pun not intended) and in a few months I should have my own wheels.

Part of me hates the idea. I've always resisted anything that takes away my independence or gives obvious sign of my disability. This has always been a mistake. I should have agreed to nearly everything from DMDs to Access for Work a long time before I did. So, this time I am putting my pride in my pocket and gratefully accepting the help offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment